Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:24:54 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, Erick White <erickw@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

On Tuesday, 16 November 1999 at  1:32:37 -0800, David Schwartz wrote:

>> 	Let me explain this to you yet again. I am not saying people are
>> stupid. Once again I say people are Miss-Informed. The do not know all the
>> facts. People in general that is. I dont know how much plainer I can be on
>> these issues, or how any one else can be. Me, no I am not going to save
>> the world from their stupidity, I dont think anyone can do that. The world
>> of mankind is after all in the process of killing itself despite
>> information of what it is doing.
>
> 	If people are misinformed who is misinforming them? Are you saying that
> everyone just believes whatever Bill Gates has to say?

No.  At one point I'd say it was 90%, but the proportion is
diminishing.

> 	I hate to break this to you, but people use IE because it's
> better than Netscape. Really. That's why I use it. It looks
> better. It works faster.  Really.

And pigs have wings.  People use IE because it's easier: it's already
there.  It crashes frequently, it's incompatible, and it's pirated
software.

> People use Windows because it does the job better.

Better than what?

> I am very familiar with both Linux and FreeBSD, yet I choose to use
> NT on my desktop. I'm sorry, it works better. Misinformation has
> nothing to do with it -- I've used all three operating systems. I'm
> more productive on NT. That's a fact.

I suppose there's a small minority who are.  You've already
demonstrated that you're not exactly the typical computer user.

> 	But the fact is, nothing can touch 98, AGP, DirectX 7, and a
> good graphics card for a personal computer. And nothing can touch NT
> for a productivity desktop workstation (though Linux and FreeBSD are
> almost there, IMO).

I suppose that depends on your definition of the word "touch".  I'm
not really interested in hearing it.

> 	All the 'information' in the world won't change the plain,
> obvious fact that people buy Windows because they prefer
> Windows. And they prefer Windows because it lets them do the things
> they want to do.

That's not the majority opinion.  It disagrees with the Statements of
Fact.

>> 	I am not saying that FreeBSD is the answer, or Linux , I am saying
>> that Microsoft is wrong.
>

> 	Regardless of how wrong they may or may not be, the fact will
> not change that Microsoft enjoys market success for Windows 98
> because it is the best product available for its market niche.

There's one way to prove that: add competition and see what happens.
What do you think will happen?

>> We are not saying we are smarter than the rest of you. What others
>> here, and I myself, are trying to do is get you to open your eyes
>> to what they have truly been doing. Those here are not saying were
>> smarter, we are as a whole saying that we see the truth what is
>> going on which anyone can see, not that their stupid, just that
>> they dont have all the facts.
>
> 	I don't need another explanation for why Windows is successful. It's
> completely obvious -- it's successful because it's the best product out
> there.

So how do you explain the Statements of Fact?

>> 	You however, sir, seem to be ignoring the facts presented before
>> you and still fight against the truths. I admit that I dont always choose
>> the right words in order to bring my point across. I might not always be
>> the most tactful person, but I do know what is there, and when someone is
>> being misled.
>
> 	What truth? What are you talking about? How am I being mislead? How has
> Bill Gates convinced me that my NT desktop is more useful than a Linux
> desktop when I have used both extensively? I have an Irix desktop not 6 feet
> from me that I could be using, but I don't. What other facts do I need?
>
> 	The fact is, most people who use Windows use it because it's the best
> product available to do the job they need to do.

This isn't a fact, it's an unsubstantiated claim.

> I need no other explanation for its success because this reason is
> sufficient.

Some people are more gullible than others.

> If you showed me some better product that wasn't as successful, then
> we could go look for the explanation.

Given your frame of mind, I think that would be a waste of time.

Did your mailer mangle the following section?  If so, please fix it
and don't do it again.

>> their
>>> money by and large on research, their using it to cannibalize other
>> company
>> research
>> test
>> continues
>>
>>>	Yes, that's extremely efficient. That way they (and their
>> customers) get
>>> the benefit of the innovations without having to pay for them. That's
>> great.
>>> That's extreme market efficiency.

It's illegible junk like this--usually associated with Microsoft--that
makes me not care any more.  There are lots of stupid and uninformed
people in the world, but none are worse than those who reject
information.

Greg