Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 06:31:11 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem getting opera to work

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 20:31:00 +1100, Peter Jeremy
<peterjeremy@optushome.com.au> wrote:

> I've recently installed the latest version of opera from ports and
> can't get it to start.  Have used a couple of older versions of opera
> without problems.
>
> Starting with an unmodified opera installation, and no .netscape or
> .opera directories, running opera brings up the license window.  When
> I agree to the license, opera dies with:
>
> INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not load libjavaplugin_oji.so:
> linking error=Cannot open
> "/home/peter/.netscape/java/lib/libjavaplugin_oji.so"
>
> System error?:: No such file or directory
>
> The only libjavaplugin_oji.so I can find is
> /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> and when I link it to /home/peter/.netscape/java/lib/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> the error message changes to:
>
> INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not load libjavaplugin_oji.so:
> linking error=/home/peter/.netscape/java/lib/libjavaplugin_oji.so:
> Undefined symbol "PR_NewMonitor"
>
> I had (an admittedly older version of) jdk1.3.1 loaded previously.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can get this to work?

- Deinstall the port.

- Download the (static Qt) Linux .tgz from Opera.com, tar -xzvf in a
convenient directory, and follow the instructions.

Native version from ports seems to choke on Java and plugins, while the
Linux port hadn't been updated since August the last time I looked.

Jud