Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 06:49:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCCARD modem trouble (fwd)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Thanks, I changed it to 13 (the only other availible irq that the card
> > seems to support according to dumpcis info) and it still gives me the same
> > error.  Also, why can't irq 8 be used?  And then why is it listed in the
> > output of `pccard dumpcis`
> >
> > The only free irqs I have are 2, 8, 10, 13 (10 is not free when docked
> > however).  I tried all of them and they don't seem to work (except for 10
> > of course).
>
> 2 is never free, neither are 8 or 13.  Your pcic is probably on 3, so
> you only have irq 10 available for allocation.
>
> > Next I'm take out my soundcard from the kernel and try irq 5.
>
> You can't do that; the hardware is still connected to the IRQ line even
> if you don't have a driver enabled.

Why not? I did and pcic took irq5 and freed up 9 to use for the modem.

> If you're on -current or 3.1 you can try setting the pcic IRQ to 0 (see
> 'help tunables' in the loader) to free up IRQ 3.

Patrick Seal                        |"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make
<patseal@hyperhost.net>             |   really crappy operating systems."
Hyperhost - http://www.hyperhost.net| -Linus Torvalds
hosting and Design

http://www.freebsd.org - http://www.linux.org