Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:26:59 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P5A broken by ACPI black-list

> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:27:03 -0700
> From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>

> --------------020107080204030202050108
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Thanks, John.
> >
> > This was actually an effort to avoid causing problems for people
> > upgrading to V5 with this card. I have no problems with running
> > ACPI. But, since it's blacklisted for ACPI and won't work without it,
> > people are going to try to upgrade and discover that their systems don't
> > work.
> >
> > I think the best solution is to remove it from the black-list (Nate?)
> > and at least let it work. Then people can figure out to use TSC and not
> > the ACPI clock.
> >
> > What would be better is a more granular black-list that simply disabled
> > ACPI for features that are broken. Of course, maintaining this would be
> > a pain.
>
> Try the attached patch.  If it works, please submit your system info
> including dmesg and acpidump -t as a PR (i386/???) and I'll commit it.

It worked perfectly. I'll add it to the PR in a few minutes.

If you are doing this, will you add quirks for the other ACPI modules?
I know I've seen reports that various of them are not working on some
BIOS or another and putting in the quirks (even if there are no current
references to most of them in the acpi_quirks file) will make it easier
for people to make appropriate customizations of their kernels.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)