Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:17:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Joan Schunck <jschunck@math.cudenver.edu>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pcmcia floppy on Libretto does not work in FreeBSD

I have a Toshiba Libretto 100ct with the standard pcmcia external floppy
drive.  I am running FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE.

I have recompiled my kernel, as per the instructions regarding the
libretto floppy as follows:

(original fdc0 line commented out)

device	fdc0
device	fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

I have no other fd0/1/2 or fdc0/1/2 device lines in my kernel - the two
above are the only two lines in my kernel config relating to floppy
drives.

-----

So I boot, and after completing boot, I plug in the floppy into pcmcia
slot 1 (as opposed to slot 0, which is empty).  I get the following
messages:

/kernel: fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3

then I get the:

driver allocation failed for Y-E DATA(External FDD): Device not configured

(I get both of those 2 or 3 times)

-----

So, I looked in /dev and noticed there was no `fdc0` and thought maybe
that was the problem, but ther is no way to make fdc0 with MAKEDEV, so I
did:  `mknod fdc0 c 9 0` (I just made it match the major/minors of
/dev/fd0)

Well that didn't fix anything.  So I'm stuck.

My question is, if the comments in GENERIC on configuring the kernel are
not enough to get the ext. floppy to work on a libretto, what else do I
need to do ?

A related question is, should I delete the fdc0 that I mknod'd ?  If so,
how am I supposed to get fdc0 when it is not in MAKEDEV and doesn't come
by default in freeBSD 4.4-RELEASE ?

Any help is appreciated - I desperately need to get this floppy drive
working with this libretto as soon as possible to save some data that I
can't leave on a floppy...

thanks!