Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 2008 16:28:12 -0400
From:      "Ryan Stone" <rysto32@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   pmcstat: should it fail when a cpu is disabled?

Recently I've run into a small issue where pmcstat will fail if a cpu
is disabled unless you specifically tell pmcstat to not attach to that
processor.  This is annoying for me because we have some machines with
hyper-threaded cpus but we disable hyperthreading on them.  When we
try to run pmcstat on those machines, pmcstat will try to attach to
the disabled hyperthreaded cpu and fail.  I can work around it by
figuring out what the active cpus are and specifying only those cpus
to the -c options, but that's annoying.  I was thinking that if the -c
'*' option is specified(either explicitly or implicitly by not
specifying any -c option) that pmcstat should only attach to active
cpus and ignore disabled cpus.  I have a patch that will do this but I
wanted to gauge opinions on whether this behaviour is wanted or not
before submitting it.  Any strong opinions one way or the other?

Ryan Stone