Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 19:26:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ad0 drivers revisited

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Peter Radcliffe wrote:

> Define "it doesn't work" ?

ad0: 4884MB <Maxtor 85120A8> [10585/15/63] at ata0-master using BIOSDMA
ata1-slave: simplex device, DMA on primary only
acd0: CDROM <FX400D> at ata1-slave using BIOSPIO
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0-master: timeout waiting to give command=ef s=eb e=eb
ad0: trying fallback to PIO mode
ata0: resetting devices .. done

> It doesn't switch to pio mode or doesn't stop timeouts ?

There is no change in the timeouts with or without adding the line to
rc.  At least it does eventually fall back to PIO.  I understand from some
of the posts that not every case is so.

> If there was a fix known, for it to be scheduled, it would probably
> already be in the tree.

I was actually hoping that someone with a fix in the works would
respond ;-)

I do appreciate your response though.  My late Father always said that two
heads were better than one, even if one is a punkin head.  Of course that
one would be mine ;_)

Jim Weeks
-------- A mind is a terrible thing to lose!  How I miss mine..