Date:      30 Jun 2000 20:25:07 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Endless cycle of reboots

Toshiba 4005CDS
4.0 snap 06/23
Netgear FA410  <<== yes it is working.

I've trashed my setup to the point where all I get is an endless cycle
of reboots.

Trying to stop the boot process and boot -s.  It still just reboots
endlessly.

Thanks to lots of help from posters here my network was up and could
be started manually after bootup.

I was working on a way to start my network connection during boot and
had tried putting something like:

ifconfig_ed0="inet ed0 xxx.xxx.x.2  netmask 255.255.255.0"  or similar...I don't
have it now but it was right out of the book.

Then:
route add default xxx.xxx.x.1

(This is an ethernet connection .... the default route is needed to access
the internet thru a IPmasqed linux box.)

That seemed to fail because the pccard were not initialized yet

So I wanted to try to start it later by putting something in
/etc/rc.local

/etc/rc.loca

/bin/ifup-ed0

This is a script that says:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 15
ifconfig ed0 xxx.xx.x.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
sleep 4
route add default xxx.xx.x.1
## done

I tried booting with an fixit floppy but just get the same boot prompt
and cycling reboots..

The fixit is from an older release.. Is that important?