Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:39:08 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        ChrisMic@clientlogic.com (Christopher Michaels)
Cc:        rsodah@index.com.jo, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: socks5

> You don't.  It's a proxy software.  It really just depends on your setup,
> you are either going to need to setup a proxy or two or use ppp -alias (or
> natd) to allow access from the win95 machine.

What?  Unless he's done something odd, none of this is needed.  Out of the
box, FreeBSD's telnet/ftp daemons will accept connections from Windows 95.

Lets not complicate things with proxies until we have evidence that a
proxy is needed.  And a proxy isn't going to help a FreeBSD machine accept
a connection from Windows 95.  It would, however, help the Windows machine
connect to another machine _on the other side_ of the FreeBSD machine.  But
this doesn't appear to be what he is trying to do...

Quoting the original question:
> > Why do i need socks5 on my BSD machine to accept Windows95 connections?

Pons:  what do you mean by "accept Windows 95 connections"?  How are you
attempting to connect?  (ftp/telnet/irc/something else).  This makes a
great deal of difference.

What were the circumstances around your being told that you need socks5?
Were you trying to do something, and someone offered you this advice?  It
might have been good advice which you have confused with another problem.

Jon Doran