Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:26:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   XF86Config and keyboard functionality...

   On my old server and with the older and standard version of X11
   (3.6) in /etc/XF86Config, the following "Keyboard" Section let
   me use the ALT keys as "Meta" keys:

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   AutoRepeat      500 30
   LeftAlt         Meta
   RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc101"
   XkbLayout       "us"
EndSection

   Now, with a 104-key keyboard and the newest X, (4.1.X), the

   LeftAlt	Meta
   RightAlt	Meta

   give me errors when I bring up X.

   I've found work-around by remapping keys with xmodmap, but can anybody
   clue me in as to what file(s) to change to get the LeftAlt and RightAlt
   keys to be recognized globally when X is initialized?

   I've looked at the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xmodmap.std files on both
   new and older system but can't see the change... or maybe just don't
   understand it!

   (I'm open to any suggestion regarding how to make use of the surplus
   Windose keys----but this is *another topic*).

   Søren Schmidt is our keyboard wizard.... but if anyone else can help
   me, I'd be much obliged.

   TIA,

   gary

--