Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 00:26:04 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to use rpms?

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:13:56PM -0500, David J. Kanter wrote:

> I have updated my linux_base and want to use the Linux Xfstt binaries
> (the BSD maintainer suggested using the Linux version). Once I
> download the xfstt rpm, what next?
>
> Can I just rpm -i *.rpm, or do I need to give it a little more
> of a nudge in terms of where is needs to be installed (i.e.,
> /compat/linux/)?

More of a nudge. You will want to do
"rpm -i --ignoreos --root /compat/linux --dbpath /var/lib/rpm".

Note that the path, '/var/lib/rpm' will actually go into the specified
root, so it will be /compat/linux/var/lib/rpm. Hope that makes
sense. You may have to add other rpms to satisfy dependencies. If the
rpm wants to run a script you will need to add the --noscripts flag.

Does the Linux xfstt binary work better than the FreeBSD port or is that
what you are trying to find out?

Hope this helps.

--
Glenn Johnson