Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:56:25 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        F.Xavier Noria <fxn@isoco.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on creating partitions

On Friday 04 January 2002 02:44 pm, F.Xavier Noria wrote:
> I've got a new computer with RAM 256 DDR and 21GB of its hard disk
> reserved for FreeBSD.
>
> I have no clue about what partitions should I create and what size
> should they have since in previous installations I just followed the
> 3xRAM rule for swap and the rest was under /.
>
> This is going to be an average desktop computer, for playing around,
> programming and so forth. After reading the relevant parts of the
> Handbook and "The Complete FreeBSD", I've come with this temptative
> settings:
>
>     /     200MB
>     swap  800MB
>     /var  300MB  + SoftUpdates
>     /usr  <rest> + SoftUpdates
>
> and /tmp would be symlinked to /usr/tmp to make sure I do not run out of
> space there (is that reason reasonable in fact?). I don't need to be
> conservative because I have a lot of room, would you think those are
> suitable partitions?
>
> -- fxn

Those sizes are fine. If your machine is going to be multi-user you might
think about a seperate /home. That gives you more control for quota and
exports etc...

Beech

     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510