Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:45:44 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Orion Hodson <orion@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICH sound after suspend/resume

> From: Orion Hodson <orion@freebsd.org>
> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:29:38 -0700
> Sender: hodson@icir.org
>
> /-- "Kevin Oberman" wrote:
> | Re: kern/55395
> |
> | I see a patch to ich.c back on the 15th to "Correctly reset ich[3-5]
> | sound cards on resume.", but I am still not able to properly use my
> | sound card after a resume because the card starts clocking at the wrong
> | rate, about 52K instead of the correct 48,000.
> |
> | There is nothing in the tying it to any PR, but it looks like it's
> | trying to do the "right thing" on resume.
> |
> | As before, the sysctl for the sampling rate has no effect.
> |
> | Any ideas what I might try?
>
> Kevin
>
> All I can suggest is going through the ICH sound docs.  Intel write both
> register descriptions and programmers guide for their h/w.  You might also
> look at the ALSA driver.  I believe the speed problem most likely lies in the
> AC97 resets.
>
> I know I promised to look into this, but I've been struck by a shortage of
> time lately and don't see the situation improving in the near future.  I'm
> very close to calling it a day with the commit bit.

I understand completely. I did not send the message because of
impatience, but to make sure that you (and others) were aware that the
patch of 9/15 did not fix the problem.

If I get some time, I'll try looking at it, but my C skills are rusty
and my familiarity with hardware (let alone BIOS) pretty much ends
with DEC Alphas and VAXen. I've been living in the network world for
10 years and can talk in detail about the design of forwarding
engines, but they have little in common with PCs.

Thanks,
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)