Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 02:55:24 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        "J. Goodleaf" <goodleaf@goodleaf.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make depend fails on Kernel

David Daugherty wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> > David Daugherty wrote:

> > > I looked on the bsd list archive and found I needed to go to /usr/src then
> > > make buildkernel KERNEL=MACHINENAME I then get:
> > > make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop
> > >
> > > This is not an upgrade. I just installed the src and hour and a half ago.
> > Did you copy GENERIC into MACHINENAME? It won't work until you do.
> Yup. This is what I've done:
> Installed 4.0-R from iso
> cvsup'd

What did you cvsup to? If you choose RELENG_4, then you really have to
follow the example in /usr/src/UPDATING. Cvsup'ing a 4.0-Relase
doesn't buy you anything (IIUC it was fixed at iso burn time and you
installed from the iso). The upgrade to Stable, which is now
4.1-Stable, is a truly complicated task. You have your choice of doing
a make world and then making your kernel or you follow the other
example in UPDATING with the buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel,
amd installworld. They all finish up running mergemaster and adding
the new devices in /dev. I prefer the last set because it lets me have
a complete build finished before I start installing anything. Since
the new code is in /usr/obj, you are effectively doing a cross
compile. If you cvsup'ed and didn't do a build world before you tried
the config you basically have a new Makefile and etc but the old
system. You can have problem with each but with the buildkernel
scheme, you still have your original world and kernel until you decide
to start installing.

FWIW, I have 4.1-Stable, built from cvsup'ed source, running on all
three of my FreeBSD machines.

Kent

> /stand/sysinstall
> Configure->Distributions->src->sys
> cp GENERIC MACHINENAME
> removed lines at beginning of MACHINENAME
> {
>         cpu I386
>         cpu I486
>         cpu I686
>
>         ident GENERIC is now MACHINENAME
> }
> /usr/sbin/config MACHINENAME
> cd ../../compile/MACHINENAME
> make depend
>
> and I get:
> make: don't know how to make ../../../include/stddef.h. Stop
>
> Which is where I get stuck ;7)
>
> David
> Software Engineer - NetManage
> Work email: david.daugherty@netmanage.com
> Home email: doc@wcug.wwu.edu
> ICQ 21106703
> Washington State Resident

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg