Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2002 06:26:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/41966: audio/play:  sblive, can cause "Device busy" condition

>Number:         41966
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       audio/play:  sblive, can cause "Device busy" condition
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD laredo.retrovertigo.com 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #6: Thu Aug 15 17:29:03 EDT 2002 root@laredo.retrovertigo.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LAREDO i386

SoundBlaster Live! Value PCI audio device

Multiple processes of play(1) will cause /dev/dsp to busy out.  What I mean by
this is, if you run an application that uses play(1) for sound events (such as
the port net/psi) and that application forks multiple sound events using play,
it can cause /dev/dsp to go "busy" and not be released.

After such time, no sound application will work until a reboot (or unless you
know a magic way to reset /dev/dsp)

>How-To-Repeat:

The easy way I did this was from within Psi (jabber client).  Under the Options
screen, you can test the various sound events with the play buttons on that
window.  Start clicking them fast in succession and you will lock up the dsp.
(Or at least in my case it does)