Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:15:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hard Drives for a new budget BSD server

On 2001-07-12, Jim Arnold scribbled:

# Building a new server over the next few months from bits
# of our office budget, so cost is a concern. this box will act primarily
# as a webserver. I've already scrapped together a box, power supply,
# ram, an adaptec scsi card and a 18 gig 10,000 rpm seagate cheetah
# scsi drive. The plan is to make this drive the data partition that
# hold all the websites and any data destined to be requested by the
# end users.

Makes sense...

# I want to install a large IDE drive to be used for backups in addition
# to a Sony tape drive that will be attached to the box.

Okay... a large IDE drive should be more than enough for storing
archives or a temp storage before you archive the stuff.

# Now my question... For the drive that will hold FreeBSD itself, am I
# defeating the purpose of the scsi drive by installing a 7,200 rpm IDE
# drive and  using that as the OS drive? This is where I can save some
# money and have room to play with by going with IDE over SCSI.

I have several FreeBSD servers that run off of 7200RPM IDE hard drives
(I just make sure that I choose a manufacturer that is known to have the
_least_ issues and one that lasts a long time). The only time I use SCSI
hard drives in a FreeBSD server is if the server only has hot-swappable
SCSI bays (like the Compaq DL360 for instance).

For the OS, an IDE drive will do fine. If you are really concerned about
redundancy, you can get a hardware IDE RAID controller and do a RAID 1
over two drives (which mirrors one drive to another... meaning that you
need to get two identical IDE drives).

# That would give me three drives:
# 1 smaller and fast 7200 IDE for the OS
# 1 Fast SCSI for data
# 1 IDE for backups in addition to the tape drive.

Or 2 7200RPM IDE drives if you decide to RAID 1 (ie: mirror) the drives
for redundancy and possibly improve read performance by a hair (or a
hare, depending on what is being read from the drives).

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]

// 404b - Brain not found