Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 14:16:16 -0700
From:      Bob Kot <bobkot@gci-net.com>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, herk <herk@cwnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems

On Thu, 09 Aug 2001, you wrote:
> best thing to do it to stick with 3com/usr modems.  i have two external
> sportster 56k with out problems.  and stay away from anything that says
> "Winmodem" or "for windows only".
>
> when it comes to modems, generally a $20 modem wont work very well
> compared to a $100 modem :(

This particular Actiontec modem is a full hardware modem and cost me
about $70 when I bought it and the system it is installed in
last Nov.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I didn't do my homework well enough prior to
buying this sorry modem, but it is not a cheap *WinModem* and the
manual provides installation instructions for OS/2 and RedHat Linux.
I thought as long as this was a true hardware modem it would work
under FreeBSD. Well not so far!!

I've been quiet and have not raised a fuss as I'm still not convinced
where the problem really lies. I am suspect of all of the following:
My ISP's modem(s), my poor quality telco twisted pair phone lines,
my ActionTec firmware, mother board or BIOS issue, FreeBSD sio.c driver,
FreeBSD ppp .

As I don't know where to point the finger I've just been waiting
and trying it occasionally but I'm getting more convinced that I'll
never get it to work properly.

-bob-