Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:47:08 -0600
From:      "Brad Morgan" <B-Morgan@concentric.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Correct procedure to upgrade a port or package

I'm a bit confused by packages and ports and although I've read the handbook
and "The Complete FreeBSD", I still have a question or two.

I've installed 4.3-Release from CD and used cvsup to get to 4.3-Stable.  My
video card, a GeForce2, wasn't supported in XFree86-3.3.6 so I installed
XFree86-4.1.0 instead.

Various ports and packages have dependancy information but it appears to be
for XFree86-3.3.6 so what happens to my XFree86-4.1.0 if I install one of
these ports or packages?

I've seen people talk about installing the port for a package.  Is this like
installing the sources for a set of binaries?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Brad