Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 20:14:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, david@catwhisker.org
Subject:   Re: Panic during -CURRENT buildworld

>Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:46:53 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>

>This is on a system (my laptop):
>FreeBSD localhost 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #13: Sun May 27 23:44:24 PDT 2001     root@dhcp-133.catwhisker.org:/common/C/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386 Mon May 28 07:27:59 PDT 2001

>Recent CVSup activity:
>CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sat May 26 03:47:01 PDT 2001
>CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sat May 26 03:52:48 PDT 2001
>CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sun May 27 03:47:01 PDT 2001
>CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sun May 27 03:53:36 PDT 2001
>CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon May 28 03:47:00 PDT 2001
>CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon May 28 03:53:51 PDT 2001

>I had tried the buildworld within X (as had been my normal practice until
>the recent difficulties with swap and/or VM), and the system re-booted
>itself.  Got the well-discussed symptom of an active file system failing
>fsck's check of primary vs. first alternate superblock, and after fsck
>got finished with the file system, soft updates got turned off, so I turned
>soft updates back on again.

I was able to do the buildworld (& friends) by booting a saved kernel
from 16 May into single-user mode, so I'm now running:

FreeBSD dhcp-133.catwhisker.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #14: Mon May 28 09:56:14 PDT 2001     root@:/common/C/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386

And while running that kernel (no further CVSups; no further source tree
mods), I was able to do a "make buildworld" while running X.

Seems like an improvement to me,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.