Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:25:13 +0200
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
To:        Vince Hoffman <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Wireless USB Adapter

On Friday 03 September 2004 00:21, Vince Hoffman wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 September 2004 05:53, Will Lieu wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >   I was just wondering if FreeBSD is going/does it support the
> > > following Wireless USB Adapter: Netgear MA111.  If not do you know
> > > where I can get the drivers for this?  I've searched around around and
> > > seemed to come up empty. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > As far as I could find, your device is based on the Prism-2 chipset.
> > Linux claims to support the device with the wlan-ng driver, but as far as
> > I know, FreeBSD doesn't have support for it (at this moment).
>
> from man wi
>
> The wi driver provides support for wireless network adapters based around
>      the Lucent Hermes, Intersil PRISM-II, Intersil PRISM-2.5, Intersil
>      Prism-3, and Symbol Spectrum24 chipsets.  All five chipsets provide a
>      similar interface to the driver.
>
> however i have no idea if this includes USB adapters,
Nope.
At this moment it doesn't.

> the only usb
> wireless driver i came across (or ever looked for for that matter) for
> Freebsd was for Atmel based USB WLAN adapters
> http://vitsch.net/bsd/atuwi/
> it seemed to work quite well when i tried it.
I wrote it :)

I have a Prism-II USB WLAN adapter here at home, I just haven't had the time
(yet) to look at it. Before I look at it I first want the atuwi driver to be
in a "more finished" state..
At this moment I think the atuwi driver is the only USB WLAN driver for
FreeBSD. All adapters based on other chipset are unsupported at this moment.

grtz,
Daan