Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:26:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Ralph Schreyer <schreyer@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiled kernel does not work

Hi folks,

ok - I think I found out what the problem was, but I don't understand it
fully...

The config file looked like (taken from GENERIC):

#To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints          "GENERIC.hints"

What we didn't realize was that config tries to use the file
<FILENAME>.hints even if the hints directive is not given. I would suggest
to put a comment into GENERIC since this behavior is not described
anywhere... (but the source code - ok :-)

Furthermore the kernel seems to fail to load /boot/device.hints (my
device.hints was just a copy of GENERIC.hints, as in the distribution).

May that be due to the 4.1-R loader we use?

Anyhow - now everything works fine...
Thanks a lot for your help

regards
-Jan

--
Physikalisches Institut der Universitaet Bonn
Nussallee 12