Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:16:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Richard Lucas <rlucas@solidcomputing.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Install problem

I've been having a problem trying to install on a machine here. When it
goes to open sysinstall it freezes at the probing devices screen. I think
I've narrowed the problem down to the tape drive, which is an HP Colorado
T4000S drive. The machine is an old Dell PowerEdge 2100. The rest of the
hardware in it includes the onboard scsi, hard drive, cd-rom. I've added
another scsi card in it which has another hard drive and the tape drive on
it.

When I disconnect the tape drive it doesn't freeze there. While trying to
find the problem I had disconnected all devices going to the scsi card and
installed, after the install I shutdown and connected it and booted back
up. It booted fine but I couldn't run /stand/sysinstall as it froze while
probing devices again. It was just that that froze though, I could still
access the machine on a different terminal, but couldn't kill sysinstall
even with kill -9. I didn't test the tape drive to see if it was working
as I don't have a tape for it right now. It possibly could be bad but I'm
hoping not. Does anyone have any experience with this particular drive or
have any suggestions?

-Richard