Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 01:40:59 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <vkushnir@Alfacom.net>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3-language support - howto?

First off, thank you for very good explanation & advice.

On 2 Apr 2000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Vladimir Kushnir <vkushnir@Alfacom.net> wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to enable triple-language (console) support under
> > FreeBSD? In my case, English+Russian+Ukrainean.
>
> I'm not sure what "triple-language support" translates to in
> technical terms. I assume what you need is (1) a font that has the
> characters required for all three languages and (2) ditto a keymap.

Fortunately, I found all of those on an FTP site
(<URL:ftp://ftp.carrier.kiev.ua/pub/koi8-u/UNIX/FreeBSD>, most probably
lots of other sites).
[...]
> I notice that we don't seem to have any KOI8-U or ISO 8859-5 console
> fonts. Hmm. KOI8-U you could probably modify yourself from KOI8-R
> with a font editor such as xmbdfed. Or you could pick up appropriate
> Linux console fonts. There's some simple format conversion necessary,
> I think, but the font data itself is compatible (VGA-style).
At the site I mentioned there's one, with both Russian and Ucrainean
characters. Actually, this is a complete FreeBSD package, and I wonder why
noboby committed it in package/port collection.

> There's a Ukrainian KOI8-U keymap which you might want to take as
> a starting point, even if you can't take it as it is.
Had to tweak it a bit for more convenience, but generally ot works.

> > P.S. OT: would some kind soul send me codes (or point to them) for
> > Ukrainean letters in other (DOS, M$-Win) encodings?
>
> That sounds like a case for Roman Czyborra's character set soup
> <URL:http://www.czyborra.com>. If he doesn't list anything there,
> send him e-mail and I'm sure he'll be able to point you to a source.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Vladimir