Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:45:38 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva@scuff.cc.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mount root fails after clean install of FreeBSD 4.7

I have a motherboard with two onboard Promise ATA66 controllers.  The hard
drive is a Seagate ST380021A, connected as the master on the first Promise
controller, referenced as ad4.  I have attempted to do a clean install,
creating one FreeBSD slice on the entire disk.  I set the slice bootable
and I install a Standard MBR on it.  After this I do a full install of 4.7,
do the post-install configuration, but when the machine reboots I get
prompted to mount the root.  For some reason, the machine is attempting to
mount the root from ad0s1a instead of ad4s1a.  At the mountroot prompt I do
enter:

mountroot> ufs:/dev/ad4s1a

and the machine continues booting without problem.  Here is the dmesg output:

atapci1: <Promise ATA66 controller> port
0xe800-0xe83f,0xe400-0xe403,0xe000-0xe007,0xdc00-0xdc03,0xd800-0xd807 mem
0xe0000000-0xe001ffff irq 9 at device 14.0 on pci0
ata2: at 0xd800 on atapci1
ata3: at 0xe000 on atapci1
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
ad4: 76319MB <ST380021A> [155061/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA66
acd0: CDROM <ATAPI 52X CDROM> at ata1-master PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:ad0s1a
Root mount failed: 6
Mounting root from ufs:ad0a
Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:
                        eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
   ?                  List valid disk boot devices
   <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot> ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a

There is only the Seagate hard drive in the computer, no others.  I don't
know why it's looking for anything on ad0.  There are the correct devices
listed in  /dev :

/dev/ad4
/dev/ad4s1
/dev/ad4s1a
/dev/ad4s1b
/dev/ad4s1c
/dev/ad4s1d
/dev/ad4s1e
/dev/ad4s1f
/dev/ad4s1g
/dev/ad4s1h

and /etc/fstab references all the right devices:

# See the fstab(5) manual page for important information on automatic mounts
# of network filesystems before modifying this file.
#
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad4s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad4s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad4s1e             /boot           ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad4s1h             /home           ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad4s1g             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad4s1d             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad4s1f             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

In case it helps, here is how I labeled and sized the filesystems (listed
in order of creation during the install):

/boot		50M
/		1500M
swap		1024M
/var		5000M