Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 22:28:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   named at boot

I've set up DNS according to a tutorial at
http://linux.open.ac.uk/issue44/pollman/dns.html but when I reboot my
system hangs as it's starting local dameons. I have to ^C to get it to
finish booting and then I notice that named is not yet running and have to
manually start it.

I presume the hanging is because some of my dameons are trying to resolve
some host. Where should I be starting named from?

my rc.local:
echo -n 'starting local daemons:'

#put your local stuff here
echo " sshd"; /usr/local/sbin/sshd
echo " smbd" && /usr/local/sbin/smbd -D
echo " nmbd" && /usr/local/sbin/nmbd -D
echo " dhcpd"; /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd pn1
echo " TCP portsentry" && /usr/local/bin/portsentry -tcp
echo " UDP portsentry" && /usr/local/bin/portsentry -udp
echo " httpd" && /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start

Should I just be starting named in rc.local?

David
Software Eng. - NetManage
Work email: david.daugherty@netmanage.com
Home email: doc@wcug.wwu.edu