Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:39:56 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        John Minter <minter01@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lost man pages after reinstalling and upgrading macosX

John Minter wrote:

> Since I have reinstalled macosx (v 10.2) and upgraded to
> current v 10.2.8, i no longer can reach my man pages or
> many of my commands. on startup of terminal i get message
> saying system cannot find manpath or grep.  I have tried to
> track down the problem, but can't seem to get the system
> to recognize many of my basic commands, including cp and
> man, for example. Please help. I'm a newbie to UNIX, and
> have been reading trying to learn it. I understand the mac's
> darwin is based on BSD. Thanks and forgive me if I've intruded
> on this list with an improper question.

Well, first thing, wrap your lines for the benefit of the
guyz whose MUA's like to see newlines.

If you know the path to system binaries, explicity calling
them at the prompt may help, e.g.:

    #/bin/ls -l /home/mydir

If Darwin's much like BSD, you should see, when doing
"ls -l" in your homedir, several files with a dot in front of
them, (e.g. .cshrc, .profile, .login)  These files help set up
stuff like your binary search path.  Any chance they were
clobbered in your "upgrade"?

Echoing an environment variable may tell you what path
is currently set, e.g.:

    <kadmin@localhost> [/home/kadmin][8:32]
    #echo $PATH
    /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:/usr/local/libexec/nut

In BSD, manpath(1) uses the contents of the user's
search path to attempt to determine the path to
manual pages, so I'd start by fixing the search path
problem.

What shell do you use?  In csh/tcsh,
    #set PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin   (etc............)

may help.  In sh/bash, I *think* it's
    $PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin: (etc......)
    $export PATH;

HTH somewhat,