Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 03:59:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        CSagar@exchange.iterated.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd problems still

 * Is there anyone who is running CCD devices successfully?

I've been running it for many years. ;)

 * I have just spent 8 hrs loading data from disks to the ccd devices I
 * built and tested. As soon as I got the 15 GB of data loaded, I sync-ed
 * the system and rebooted. Lo and behold the ccd device would not come up.
 * I run fsck on it and it tells me bad super block, values disagree with
 * those in first alternate. I give it an alternate superblock number (32)
 * to fsck from, and tells me bad super block, magic number wrong.

That shouldn't happen.  Are you sure the array is configured?  It is
conceivable that the ccd is just not being configured and fsck can't
read anything at all.

 * 								    I just
 * can't do another newfs on it to find the other super block numbers.

I don't think this will help in this case, but according to newfs's
man page, "newfs -N" will print out all the stuff without actually
doing anything.

 * All you guys that have responded have been a great help, but I just
 * don't get any confidence in this system.

Sorry you feel that way.  Please send me the output of "cat
/etc/ccd.conf", "ccdconfig -g" (after you get the ccd up, of course),
and "disklabel ccd0" (or ccd1 or whatever you are using).

Satoshi