Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:04:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Dacian Stanciu <stanciu@physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   documentation

Hi

I wnat to write a documentation about how to format a floppy disk under
freebsd, because yesterday, I had a small problem, accidentaly I have
erased spwd.db WICH IS BAD, and the only solution was that I have to copy
from another machine that file! - All ok - but then camed the problem how
to format a floppy under freebsd. I sayd to myself that Internet is near
me and somebody have done this and docummented already. Well for my
surprise there's no such documentation, or maybe on that stress i did not
looked in the right place. OK I sayd - IRC wil help. - Nope again - no-one
know how to do that!

I have find fdformat - so I've use-it - BUT! when I've tryed to mount the
floppy - I got an err.!

The man page from fdformat says:
" Note that fdformat does only perform low-level formatting.  In case you wish
 to create a file system on the medium, see the commands newfs(8)..."

ok but there's another enoying end!

The man pages from newfs says:
"	-T disktype
             For backward compatibility and for mount_mfs.
"
Nice - Huh? - well at least one example should be there, on disk type.
Somehow I did not remember how I've picked a look on /etc/disktab, and
there it was wat I want!

So. - I belive that many XBSD sys-admin's had at least 1 problem and need
a native UFS disk, not an MS_DOS one!

With Your permission I wil gladely write a small howto on how to format a
removable disk.

Thank You
Dacian Stanciu