Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2017 18:30:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ted Hatfield <ted@io-tx.com>
To:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Sunpoet Po-Chuan Hsieh <sunpoet@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Procmail got updated!

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Am 18.12.2017 um 00:17 schrieb Dave Horsfall:
>> Doing my regular update, and...
>>
>>     Upgrading procmail from 3.22_9 to 3.22_10...
>>
>> Good grief; who's the masochist who volunteered to support this
>> obscure insecure and hitherto-unsupported scripting language?
>>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=455800
>
> I'd agree we should pull the plug on the package. We'll be in for the
> usual "but it works for me" screaming of the irresponsible people who
> don't care (and most of them won't know that they need to write the
> exception/error handling themselves in their .procmailrc recipes).
>
> Sunpoet, can we mark the port as deprecated given that even the upstream
> once said it should best be abolished? I can't find the reference now,
> the procmail.org website displays "Site hosting in transit, information
> will be back up shortly."

Dear Matthias,

As one of the "irresponsible" people who is still using procmail on our
systems and has built an number of scripts and customer infrastructure
around it I take exception to the term irresponsible.  Perhaps the better
word is overworked.  If I had the time to move to dovecot/sieve or
maildrop as a local delivery agent I would have done so by now.

Ted Hatfield