Date:      18 Aug 2002 16:23:21 +0200
From:      Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de>
To:        Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making a new port - make install wants to strip a shell script

Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I'm trying to build a new port.  Building from source seems to have gone
> well enough, I made a Makefile and assorted extras to help the build but
> when I tested it the thing died here:
>
> Installing allegro-config to /var/tmp/allegro/bin
> /usr/libexec/elf/strip: /var/tmp/allegro/bin/allegro-config: File format
> not recognized
[...]
> Now allegro-config is a shell script which explains the error.

Is allegro-config one of your assorted extras? (I guess so; if your port
is Allegro Common Lisp, it doesn't contain such a script AFAIK)

If so, how do you install it? You should use ${INSTALL_SCRIPT}, not
${INSTALL_PROGRAM}, because the latter will try to strip the installed
program.

Regards
Henrik