Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:46:54 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "David Christensen" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-i386 will changing root shell break anything?

At 2:09 PM -0800 1/4/09, David Christensen wrote:

>I have changed the root shell to Bash on another machine I use as a CVS
>server and haven't noticed any issues yet, but I've been wondering if
>I'm setting myself up for problems by doing so.
>

>Does anybody know if it's okay to change the root shell on FreeBSD
>7.0-RELEASE-i386?

What I do is add the following lines to /root/.login :

if ($?prompt) then
    if ( -x /usr/local/bin/bash ) then
       # echo "Switching to bash"
       setenv SHELL /usr/local/bin/bash
       exec /usr/local/bin/bash -login
    endif
endif

I've been doing this for at least 10 years.  I haven't had any
problems with it, but Your Mileage Might Vary.