Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:30:36 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Shell scripting question

On Mar 24, 2006, at 12:12 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Neither rc.conf nor source_rc_confs appears anywhere else in the
> script, so how does this suck in the variables?  And what does the
> syntax ". /etc/rc.conf" do?

Your second question is the answer to your first question:

    . /etc/rc.conf

...or "source _file_", means to read the file into the current shell
and execute those commands.  It's used to load the variables set in /
etc/rc.conf.

> Here's what I understand so far.  If the variable
> source_rc_confs_defined is a zero length string, then if /etc/
> defaults/rc.conf is readable, then do something with it.  I have no
> idea what the next line "source_rc_confs" does.  Else, if /etc/
> rc.conf is readable, then do something with that.

Yes.  Take a look at the end of /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/
rc.subr...

--
-Chuck