Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 16:49:56 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        root@isis.dynip.com
Cc:        rivers@dignus.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: HELP!!!!

Is there a way to keep people from doing this who aren't supposed to? Like if I set up a BSD box in a library and someone knows how to do that, is there a way to stop them? (Or do I just put a password on the BIOS so they can't reboot fully?)

root@isis.dynip.com wrote:

> On  7 Feb, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> >>
> >> We are a small ISP in NW Arkansas, at one of our customers sites we have installed a FreeBSD server as their firewall, www proxy and mail server. As you can see from the attachment below we made a mistake and gave them the root password. Do you have any suggestions on recovering the root password short of re-installing the system. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
> >

> >  Yes -
> >
> >   You can boot the system in single user mode (type  "-s"  no quotes
> > at the boot prompt.)
> >
> >   From there, you can set the root password.
> >
> >   You'll need to:
> >
> >       mount -u /
> >       mount /usr
> >       passwd root
> >

> You forgot to tel him
> NEVER give away your ROOT password, even to your mother.
> infact, never give away any password, on the net, be paranoid.
> Never know WHO ?? is watching. examples ,,,
>
> NSA (LEAST OF YOUR CONCERN IF NOT DOING SOMETHING REALLY BAD)
> Hackers.com
> etc,,,,
>
> hussssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions and
        a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit
        company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101