Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:41:49 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, <lplist@closedsrc.org>, <kris@obsecurity.org>, <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd@sysmach.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

> > > Note that the AMD and Intel chips aren't slower because of incompetence.
> > > They need to remain backwards-compatible with the 8086 instruction set
> and
> > > some of its methods of doing things. The 8086 processor sucks. It's
> > > architecture and design suck. They were never meant for general purpose
> > > computing--more for operating dishwashers and the like. The fact that
> they
> > > have advanced so far is a testament to the ingenuity of humanity--and to
> the
> > > stubbornness.
> > > Blame IBM. ;-)
> >
> > Hehe...  I thought the AMD/Intel were both CISC while the PowerPC
> > is RISC created by IBM/Motorola/Apple.  I guess until the 486, the x86
> > architecture was no match for workstations.
>
> All Intel and AMD x86 cpus today are RISC processors.  They implement their
> own hidden custom RISC architecture internally.  The x86 CISC instructions
> are translated into fixed length RISC instructions before they are
> processed.

	Somehow I thought the Intel and AMD x86 CPUs were CISC and had a
portion that was RISC.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin