Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:12:47 +0200
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What mail client for a computer newbie?

On 2002-08-20 04:42:43, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:
> What mail client would you recommend for my mother?

My mother's been using Evolution for a while, and I haven't heard any
complaints, and she appears to be communicating happily with the rest of the
world.

> To be fair, she's been using pine under FreeBSD for about a year now.  Now
> that she's about to get a new computer, it's time to upgrade to a GUI (we're
> going with KDE).

Well, if she's used to Pine, why not let her stick to Pine?  Maybe install a
'light' GUI (WindowMaker's good) and run Pine in a terminal (like Eterm,
Aterm, Xterm, whateverterm).

> She has the concepts of email now.  But I want a simple interface.  Try to
> think of this from a computer newbie point of view, not an X or FreeBSD
> point of view.

I fear that KDE might be a bit too complex.  All these funny bells and
whistles all over the shop.  Might it not be better to install a 'light'
window manager instead?  I doubt she'll be needing all the 'advanced' features
of KDE.  Just a way to start the mailclient, the wordprocessor, the
spreadsheet, etc.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps