Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:52:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Steve Milley <smilley@altavista.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where do I find dependencies...

On 4 Jan 2002, Steve Milley wrote:

> HiHHi
> Hi, I just installed FreeBSD 4.4 Lite. It's a powerful OS. I
>accidently installed The KDE-Base package on CD 4, which has
>kdebase-1.1.2-1 on it. Number one, I can't figure out how to get
>startx program to recognize my kdebase2.2_2. I know it's still on
>my hard drive, but I can't figure out how to get it back. So, I
>went back to using Gnome and it complained about not find the
>default icons.

Probably you should look at the database of installed third-party
software in /var/db/pkg; possibly delete kdebase-1.1.2-1 with
pkg_delete.  The manual page for pkg_info will be generally
helpful.  You may have to reinstall kdebase2 after deleting kdebase1.

>  I believe it is the fbsd-icons-1.0 package on CD 1, but I can't
>find any of the dependencies(i.e. I don't know the command to find
>the dependencies). I greatly appreciate any help you can give,
>because read all the great reviews about FreeBSD and would like to
>continue to use it in general.

Dependencies are listed in the Makefile for the software
application in /usr/ports.

>  Also, I have been through a couple of reboots(no Ctrl-Alt-Delete),
>so I have been using fsck a few times to salvage the damage.
>Curiously, too, is there an equivalent to msinfo for FreeBSD? I

I think there's nothing comparable to msinfo, probably because
the basic structure of the system is different.  But there are
things you can look at.  Use the dmesg command and look at the
files in /etc. The ifconfig and netstat -rn commands are useful
for the network.  The manual page for ldconfig tells you about
libraries.

>don't know yet how to troubleshoot in FreeBSD. I like learning this
>stuff and have read the articles about FreeBSD vs Linux vs NT articles.
>Personally, I like learning this stuff. But, not being more familiar with
>the OS, IMHO,  is like learning how to re-ride a bike! Thanks for your
>time.

Yes...and a very different bike.  But sort of fun.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC