Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 21:40:25 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: IP vs CNAME

> generally, i think it's better to do IP based virtualhosting.
> it's not so much of a performance issue, it just makes it cleaner with
> older browsers, and makes it easier to track problems with servers.

Considering the fact that IPs are getting rare (US people don't notice
this as likely as we in Europe. RIPE would kill small ISPs doing IP
based virtualhosting) I would suggest to do standard non-IP (AKA HTTP
1.1) virtualhosting. If you think you'll have enough IPs until you get
new ones (and that could be delayed until IPv6 is widely available)
you should do IP based virtualhosting. In any other cases, I'd suggest
to use simple namebased virtualhosts. Things change if you want to
offer SSL or anonymous FTP, of course.

BTW: Why is my BIND complaining about zonefiles
without any A records but just CNAMES? If I add ONE single A record,
it stops complaining... Is there a way to get it working without a
bogus record for such "CNAME only" domains?

Best regards,
 Gabriel