Date:      Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:09:54 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: burncd input output error

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 08:30:33PM -0700, Andrew Sparrow wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 12:42:39PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> > > - burncd leaves cdrom in a way that CD cannot be mounted
> > >   after burning, one has to open and re-close CD tray manually
> > >   before one is able to mount the frshly burned CD.
> >
> > This is an issue with the drive firmware more than anything to do with
> > software.  Most drives won't re-read the disk's table-of-contents after burning
> > an image to a blank, until you eject and reload the disk.
>
> Ho, sorry, this is simply not true. Although I don't use burncd so
> can't comment on it, I've been using cdrecord since FreeBSD 2.x
> (1997-8, IIRC), on a wide variety of burners - none of which have
> ever required me to eject/reload the disk to mount it, unless an
> operation aborted/failed.  In which case the disk burnt was generally
> a coaster anyway.
>
> Even now, using cdrecord with ATAPICAM, this is never necesary on
> my current burners (NED ND6500A, Plextor PX-712A).  I simply burn
> and then mount immediately.

I see this needs more investigation.  Maybe it has to deal with
the exit status I had (!=0).

I will do a test burn now with burncd reading from a file
instead from a pipe. Let's see if it behaves different then.

Hmm even if reading from a file I get this exit status 74.

root@titan[ttyp2]{234} /export/isos burncd -v -s max data xxx.iso fixate
adding type 0x08 file xxx.iso size 238792 KB 119396 blocks
next writeable LBA 0
addr = 0 size = 244523008 blocks = 119396
writing from file xxx.iso size 238792 KB
written this track 238792 KB (100%) total 238792 KB
fixating CD, please wait..
burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCFIXATE): Input/output error
Exit 74

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.4