Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:48:08 +0800
From:      Jahilliya <jahilliya@gmail.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System Panic

On 3/10/06, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:38:35AM +0800, Jahilliya wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Got this error on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p5
> >
> > panic: lockmgr: locking against myself
>
> Try updating to 6.1, many of these panics have been fixed.

It's going to be for a production server and 6.1 is still under development
so I'd rather not at this time

I did however find out what caused the panic, it was my friend unionfs. I
had a unionfs mount setup for the system distfiles to mount over the
distfiles directory in one of my ports.

I did a simple test: mount_unionfs /tmp/dir1 /tmp/dir2
touch /tmp/dir2/file
mv /tmp/dir2/file /tmp/dir2/file1

The system immediately panicked with the exact same error...

I'll move on up to 6.1 when it's stable :)