Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:09:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Remko Lodder" <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        joeb@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ports missing their packages.

On Wed, October 29, 2008 9:53 am, joeb wrote:
> On Wed, October 29, 2008 9:09 am, FBSD1 wrote:
>> It's my understanding that a port maintainer has to install the port for
>> real any time a change is made to the port make files or a update to the
>> source of the software to test and verify the changes work as wanted.
>> Creating the package after this is just one command and a ftp upload to
>> the
>> package server. Why are maintainers being given approval to apply their
>> changes without creating the required package? This is just lax
>> management
>> on the part of the people who do the authorizing of the changes. Missing
>> packages increases user frustration level and makes FreeBSD look like
>> its
>> being mis-managed.
>>
>> An alternate solution to this problem is to allow users to upload
>> missing
>> packages to the package server direct or to a staging ftp server so
>> port/pkg
>> management staff can review first and them populate the production
>> package
>> server.
>>

> There is a certain guideline in place which committers follow. If you have
> constructive feedback surely someone will listen to it. Spitting your
> frustration is not likely to help. Do note that we have a lot of
> maintainers which try to satify each and everyone of us, sending messages
> like this is not going to help *you*.
>
> I would have a strong opinion -against- people uploading towarsd the FTP
> server directly. That will not be done. <period>.
>
> To give you a better understanding; We have a ports-cluster which builds
> packages and uploads them to the appropriate place on the FTP servers,
> sometimes that takes a little to become available, donate more facilities
> so that we can do that better. Also note that QAT (a ports tinderbox) runs
> periodically to make sure every thing is just fine!
>
> Thanks,
> Remko
>
> --
> /"\   Best regards,                      | remko@FreeBSD.org
> \ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko@EFnet
>  X    http://www.evilcoder.org/          |
> / \   ASCII Ribbon Campaign              | Against HTML Mail and News

There might be reasons for packages not being built, sometimes it's an
license issue, sometimes the package does not build etc. It's not
something that you can demand that you need a package that it gets there.
There is more to it then just build the freaking thing ;-)

> I am
> grateful
> to the maintainers for the great job they do, but completing the job by
> building the package is such a small additional task in light of they
> already have everything in place to build the package.

It's not, we have guidelines that we have to follow in order to keep
things managable.

> Posting a email to ports@freebsd.org or posting a bug report about package
> missing does not get the missing package built. Its just considered as
> background noise. I have brought this problem to light in past years and
> new
> releases keep coming out with the same packages missing.

Then apparantly there is no need for your idea and it will not get
implemented. Stating that a package is missing, soit, we build packages
all the time and as said there are reasons for some ports not being build
into packages etc. First investigate that before complaining this loud.

We have been in this proces before with you (Bob was your name back then
if I remember correctly).

Thnx,
Remko