Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:07:57 -0600
From:      ryanb <ryanb@goddamnbastard.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   login(1)/login.access(5) and numeric IP restrictions

Good morning/afternoon/evening -STABLE!

As the subject implies, I'm running into a problem w/ restricting based
on IP/network via login.access(5).  I couldn't track anything down in
the -STABLE archives so far re: this behavior, but if anyone can refer
me to other postings, I'll gladly check 'em out.

In /etc/login.access, I have an entry like this:

+:wheel staff:192.168.100.102

Any service attempting to use this info (using login(1), I assume) will
fail the request regardless of uid/gid.  Now, based on what the man page
says re: network addresses, I've also tried the following:

+:wheel staff:192.168.100.

That, too, fails.  I've tried at least 5-10 various permutations, all
failing if numeric addressing is involved.  Using "ALL" or hostnames /
domains works flawlessly.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether login.access simply won't work
with numeric address restrictions (login(1) prob?) or whether I'm just a
fool.  :)

Yes, I know about hosts_access(5).  I'm ultimately going to use that in
conjunction w/ login.access(5).  However, if login(1)/login.access(5) is
really the source of the problem (numeric stuffs deprecated maybe), then
I think a PR might be necessary for the documentation team.

Thanks much in advance.

  - ryan

--
Ryan Beasley			e-mail:	<ryanb@goddamnbastard.org>