Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:38:42 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.freebsd.org b0rked?

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 02:25:28PM -0800, David Greenman wrote:

> >> Not relevant. I'm using real IP addresses and the connection is
> >> dropped immediately after the PASS command, no matter what password I
> >> actually send. There is a FW1 upstream, but it's supposed to let all
> >> traffic to and from my subnet through untouched.
> >>
> >> David - is there any way we can try to debug this? I guess the first
> >> thing to try is if it's specific to dgftpd - do you have another site
> >> that runs dgftpd I can test against?
> >
> >Better late than never? We had a problem with our FW-1 after an
> >"upgrade." Here is a source that sums up the different approaches to
> >the issue,
> >
> >  http://www.securityportal.com/topnews/weekly/checkpoint20000918.html
> >
> >Scroll down to the "Multiple Problems with FTP After Upgrading"
> >section. HTH.
>
>    I don't see how dg-ftpd is doing anything wrong. It always replies with
> CRLF terminated lines on the command channel as RFC-959 requires. ...so I
> don't think this is the cause.
>    The problem appears to be a real bug in the checkpoint firewall code.

When I was watching FW-1 reset connections, I was thinking the same
thing. From the best I could tell, FW-1 would reset the connection if
the FTP data portion _of any single packet_ did not end in a CRLF. I
would get most of the "230" lines until one line was broken between
packets... then FW-1 would send TCP RSTs each way. To me, that's gotta
be broken behavior. Why should the application layer, FTP, care how
the data is broken up at the transport layer, TCP?