Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:08:44 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing BIND with unbound

--0-344042496-1345572525=:78446

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 8/21/2012 10:11 AM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

>>> I imported the code into the vendor tree, but did not proceed any
>>> further as there was still no firm consensus at the time.
>>>
>>> I believe the conclusion - to the extent that there was one - was that
>>> people were fine with tossing out BIND and importing ldns to replace the
>>> client bits, as long as we had suitable drop-in replacements for host(1)
>>> and dig(1), but there was no consensus on whether to import unbound.
>>>
>>> I'll start working on getting ldns into head this weekend.
>>
>> I think ldns really is not what we want; can you defer this for a week
>> and we could chat in person, also wtih brooks around, next week?
>>
>> There is a wwaayy larger thing to the picture of resolver libraries,
>> exspecially validating once, which includes standardization,
>> acceptance, application support, etc. and I admit there should be a
>> summary of that on the wiki but isn't yet as some of the things only
>> very last-weekishly materialized for real for us.
>
> Neither importing ldns nor removing BIND is going to have any effect on
> the stub resolver library in libc.

Yes it does as if we are not carefull, we'll neither have a _proper_
validating caching resolver but 4 different resolver libraries 3 of
which needing crypto and only 2 with a well known support plan and
only 2 with the same interface in base.  Can you see why Simon's question
is important to not make the current problem worse?  (rhetorical for
you, Des will answer).  Can we make sure if we do this that things
like portsnap and freebsd-update will not stop working (using the
command line tools for example)?  Can we have a longer plan of where
we want to be in a year, which parts we need from where and how to get
them, and if we feel like it, add names to this?   It's strange that
others in this thread have asked for it already, not just me yelling
"stop".

> And if you have much larger plans for resolver libraries, especially
> validating ones, it would be great if they were discussed IN PUBLIC, so
> that those of us who know a little something about the topic can be
> involved in the discussion BEFORE all the decisions are made, and all
> the balls start rolling.

Do you understand the part about the wiki from above?  I can put an
ACL on to exclude everyone but the secret cabal, having investigated
days the last 18 months on the topic, talked to people on multiple
continents, from different projects, ...  but I hadn't planned to ..
and I am not the only one.  The fact that it's not written down is,
as I said, things are only no longer totally nebulous since last week.

Given the only thing you currently want to do is getting rid of
solving the problem of no longer maintaing named in base (which I
think no one disagrees with per se) but do not want to invest in any
of the other work, I'd highly appreciate a lower noise level so
others could in fact move forward in a more productive way.  I could
have started the wiki page rather than replying for example.  Thanks.

/bz

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.
--0-344042496-1345572525=:78446--