Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 14:55:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Subject:   Re: smfs

On Wed, 13 Sep 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> You know that the smbfs "logs in" as a single client into an SMB server
> (possibly smbd on another box) and thus has only a single credential
> authenticated, that credential to be used by all UNIX users the kernel
> funnels through the file system, right?

Ugh... I was NOT aware that it was such an ugly beast.
To be honest, I haven't dug very deeply into this.  I've been pleased with
the regular samba package, and I simply assumed that a kernal-based
solution would be more effecient than it (memory-usage-wise).  Apparently,
though, smfs, is NOT a functional replacement for samba.  I stand corrected.

> If you go to implement this, at least think about the issues involved
> before just blindly implementing.

But of course!  It's good to know we can all count on this list to rescue
us from our blindness.  :-)

thanks,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X