Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 21:58:14 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Set a default route - with no broken bones

Harry Putnam wrote:

> After grappling with the BSD OS for 2days now, I feel like I've been in
> the ring with Tyson.  (I'll admit it hasn't bit me yet)
>
> The ins and outs of using ifconfig are winning most rounds.  A few
> simple examples would be nice in that man page.  Setting a default
> route must be a common need with ifconfig.

	You have to use route to set the default route, although that's usually
done at boot with the information you supply in /etc/rc.conf[.local].
Specifically:

route add default 11.22.33.44

(supply your own IP, obviously).

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire