Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:12:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        soules+@andrew.cmu.edu (Craig A Soules)
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling Filesystems in bsd? (LFS, anyone?)

> Wouldn't it be possible to offer the same semantics as FFS in an LFS
> implementation if the segment was (over)written after each operation?

No, unless you used NVRAM to do the job, and did it in an
idempotent way (e.g. you did intention logging of the changes,
and the NVRAM version was not overwritten, only the disk
version was).

> > Does the cleaner work? (always the first question to ask when people
> > talk about their LFS implementations).
>
> This may be wrong, so don't flame me, but...
> I had heard that there was no fully working implementation of LFS in the
> *BSDs for this reason (and in fact there was an LFS branch in FreeBSD as
> well, but it was removed since the cleaner was in such shoddy shape).

If you have a full source repository, the LFS in FreeBSD, which is
Margo Seltzer's, and the same as that in NetBSD (except the FreeBSD
once has not been maintained as regards the VM and buffer cache
unification, so there is work to be done there), can be recovered
from the attic, by checking the code out by the date before it was
sent to the attic.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---