Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 15:50:16 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        "Lance M.Westerhoff" <lmw188@psu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DB2 on FreeBSD??

Jan Grant wrote:
>>  What about database
>>software?  As the databases grow, I expect each of them to encompass
>>several TB, so I don't think MySQL will work in the long run (though I
>>could be wrong).
>
> You may well be. MySQL uses single files per table, so you'll have a
> practical limit of 1TB per table inherited from the filesystem unless
> you look at UFS2.

Not true.
MySQL has a RAID option that will cause a table to use several files,
and can get around the 1T limit.
However, I'm not aware of any 1T limit on FreeBSD filesystems. Here's
the authoritative answer:
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/install.html#AEN936
If these number aren't reliable, someone who knows what the numbers
really are should take responsibility for updating the FAQ.  They sure
look out of date, I wonder if 4.X has increased the sizes further?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology