Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:07:18 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can somebody help this guy please? [pippo@videotron.ca: Re: [CUPS] frustrated to no end]

Can someone help this guy? Please. I'm swamped right now.

----- Forwarded message from "\"P. Jourdan\"" <pippo@videotron.ca> -----

From: pippo@videotron.ca ("P. Jourdan")
Subject: Re: [CUPS] frustrated to no end
Date: 12 Sep 2002 17:24:46 -0400
To: cups@easysw.com
Sender: owner-cups@easysw.com
At 11:24 PM 9/12/2002 +0400, you wrote:
I think this is going to help... but there are some things I don't
understand, mainly, how to cloean up all the shit that is left in the
computer. It looks like there is an awful lot - but I don't know if the
files referenced are in use nor which version if a origran nat be using them...

>It's difficult to give any recommendations but are you sure you've
>correctly installed the dependencies?

Since I usually use portupgrade, I leave that to the program :))

>Try to cvsup the latest port tree.

Done.

>Check the versions of installed ports with pkg_version -v. Check the
>package db integrity with
>pkgdb -F. This utility's quite useful and comes with portupgrade port.

Yeah, but it's quite confusing. For instance, I upgraded portupgrade and
then did portversion: portversion would not run since there was a stale
dependency for ruby. Well, what do I do? Do I change the dependency to the
oder installed version of ruby and then upgrade ruby? Will that fix the
dependency after an upgrade? Or do I portupgrade ruby first and then rerun
portversion? - I did the second and then portversion did work. But what If
I had done the former?

>Get a list of files under /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 that do not
>belong to any package:
>find /usr/local /usr/X11R6 -type f | xargs pkg_which -v|fgrep '?'

Ouch - there's alist of at least 1.5mb just for .../local. What can I do
with them? How do I know that they are not in use by a program? Can I
delete them? Or what?

>and think why if any.

Frankly, I cannot imagine what to think. :((

>Check if the installed files have been altered somehow: pkg_info -ga

Yeah, tons of MD%c checksum failures.... Does that mean they have been
overwritten by more recent installations? Are they still good? Can I delete
them?

I don't really understand what would cause this overload of garbage, if
that is what it is... :))

I am happy to learn how to use the pkg_* tools. I never thought about using
them as whatever results I would get, would (and are) pretty meaningless
for me as I have no idea of what to do about them.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.