Date:      Thu, 12 May 2005 09:59:37 +0200
From:      "Adri Koppes" <adrik@salesmanager.nl>
To:        <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.4R fails to run i386 binaries. Missing ld-elf32.so.1

I recently installed a new FreeBSD 5.4 release on a Dell 1850 using dual =
Intel Xeon EM64T processors.
During install I was asked whether to support 32-bit compatibility, =
which I enabled.
Running amd64 binaries and FreeBSD 4.x/5.x i386 statically linked =
binaries works fine.
When I attempt to execute FreeBSD 4.x/5.x i386 dynamically linked =
libraries, I get the following error:

ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf32.so.1 not found
Abort

It seems the i386 loader did not get installed by default and I can't =
find the i386 shared libraries either.
How can I install the ld-elf32.so.1 loader and the FreeBSD 4.x/5x i386 =
shared libraries? Preferable from the distribution CD's.
I have seen references to using build32.sh, related to FreeBSD 5.2 and =
5.3, but this seems to require a full source tree, make buildworld, =
followed by build32.sh.
Is this still required for FreeBSD 5.4R on a production system?

Adri.