Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:20:43 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing a USB disk to a specific device name

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 04:23:58PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> Is it possible to assign a specific device name to a USB disk? As in, say=
 I=20
> have 2 USB disks -- currently they appear as da0 and da1. One of these=20
> (da0) contains the key for a GELI encrypted partition, and so I mount it=
=20
> from fstab while booting (to get the key).

Yes, more or less.
=20
> What I'd like to know is whether there's any way for me to ensure that th=
e=20
> da0 disk always appears as da0. I don't want it that tomm I plug in anoth=
er=20
> disk (or change the order of disks, though I'll be more careful with that=
)=20
> and suddenly da0 is no longer at da0! That would hamper the boot process=
=20
> ... not nice.

It is possible, but not as daX. Use the glabel(8) utility to label your
disks. They will show up as /dev/label/<yourlabel>

The daX devices are created as the device is plugged in, so AFAIK it's
impossible to permanently assign them a certain daX device.

Roland
--=20

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--